Friday, October 16, 2009

God, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change he things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

This is really the ultimate prayer. At least it is for a control freak like me. I understand and believe that I am not able to control much, but it usually doesn't stop me from trying. I am constantly plotting and planning. It's the way I try to manage my anxiety. Most of the time, I am even OK with the plan being changed, I just have to have a plan.

The serenity prayer reminds me that I need to ask for guidance. And that even if things are going my way for a while, it's has much less to do with me than I would have myself think.

It seems that we have turned a corner as well. The house is pretty much set up, my parents have come and gone, and we are beginning to find our routine. Naps are officially done. That doesn't mean that the kids are not tired after school, or even that they don't fall asleep on the way home. But it has gotten to the point that if they sleep in the afternoon, they stay up late at night. So, now we have long afternoons together, and I am finding that an excursion right after school works best for now. I don't want to jinx myself, but the boys have been much more agreeable this week as well. Maybe they are feeling more settled, or maybe they have a less distracted mommy!

I had coffee with a really nice mom from school this morning. She is very nice, and they moved here around the same time that we did. Next week, our new friends will come over for a playdate. I think that the boys will love it, I know that I will!

God has already shown me that his plan for me is much better than anything that I could have come up with for myself. I am glad that I can remember that today.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are clicking along:) RIP, naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post... reminds me to say the serenity prayer more often. Like you, I am a planner, though get stressed when those plans (undoubtedly) go awry. Humility is my personal challenge! Have fun with your playdate next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the prayer - it is a good reminder! Kids and life are always changing - we just have to roll with it! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete