Sunday, October 11, 2009

“Don't forget your history nor your destiny”- Bob Marley






Yesterday continued. Although I had been to visit Dalkey Castle, Tom and the boys had not, so we decided to take my parents. I have written about my experience there and how it made me appreciate the 21st Century! Even though they do it in a fun way, with actors who portray the villagers of medieval times, it is a great way to learn about, and really try to understand history. Being in the Castle with the barber performing an "amputation" on my mother while describing each step makes me think about the people in those times and the fears they must have faced daily.

Reading about events and historical figures is fantastic, but nothing compares to visiting the places where these people walked and worked and lived. I really want to learn as much as I can by experience, and I want to share it with my kids as well. Just another reason that I feel blessed to have the opportunity to live here.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner. Kieran is a solicitor (lawyer) who my dad has known for a few years through a law association. When we told my parents that we would be moving here, my dad (of course!) wanted to introduce us right away. As it happened, Kieran was in New York for business soon after and we all had dinner. He couldn't have been nicer and after meeting him we ere more excited to come to Dublin. On our first visit, He and his wife, Brenda took Tom and me out to dinner, and the second trip, they had us to their house along with two of Kieran's brothers and their wives. We felt so welcomed. So last night, we finally had them to our house, and we had a wonderful time. Kieran and Brenda met our boys, and got to see a very special performance by Tommy. He played the piano and sang "Baa Baa Black Sheep" for everyone, un-coerced. Superstar!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you film Tommy's performance? I would love to see it. I still watch ABC's with Violin and Cello.

    ReplyDelete