Saturday, December 5, 2009

"The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine." - Mike Murdock

Now there is something to think about! And I have been thinking of that since we returned from our trip. Am I living the life I would like to live? Certainly, I have everything I need and just about everything I want. It is so easy to get distracted from doing the everyday things that keep me from living in the day-in the moment.

For example, I used to make my bed everyday. I had heard someone say once that they started making their bed every morning and, if nothing else, it made them feel more organized, and gave them a good start to the day. I found that to be true as well. When I was about 7 months pregnant with my twins, I stopped sleeping but for the 30 minute nap here and there. I didn't even bother getting into bed, I just stayed out on the couch. So, for a while, it became Tom's bed. Oh, and I couldn't fit between the wall and the bed. Then after the boys were born, I had fantasies about maybe getting back into bed for a nap at some point. Never happened. So the bed would be made once a week when the cleaning lady came.


There are many areas that I am pretty happy about. I spent a lot of quality time with my kids. I enjoy and value it so much that it is easy move other things so far down on the priority list that they disappear. I can do better (right? most of us can).


An important component that slips in and out of my routine, besides excercise, is prayer and reflecting on my day. I have so many wonderful intentions to live in this lovely, peaceful, centered, organized way, but I forget to just ask myself "what can I do today?"



I had a bumpy re-entry back into Dublin. First of all, we came back to this:



And we had just left this:








The end of our trip was just as great as the beginning. We had our annual dinner with our friends the day after Thanksgiving. Sadly, this was the first year without Peter who passed away in September. Amazingly, Sam and Nick were there. I admire them very much. It was so nice to see them, and to be there with them.

The day we left, we went to see the "Radio City Christmas Spectacular". It was so good. We were all so happy to be there, and then so sad to say goodbye.

After one week, I am happy to be back. The boys are thrilled to be back at school. We are getting excited for Christmas and my sister's arrival. We had 2 playdates and I had 2 coffee dates.

And I made my bed this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment