Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"I go off into Dublin and two days later I'm spotted walking by the Liffey with a whole bunch of new friends." - Ron Wood

When I first knew that we were moving to Dublin, I immediately began to try to translate New York to Dublin. We lived in New York City, so I wanted to live in, or very close to Dublin. I envisioned myself taking the boys to the museums like I did in New York. The more I tried, the more I realized, that I had to think differently. There is no place like New York. And there is no place like Dublin. I am very happy that we settled in a suburban area, even though it has been the biggest adjustment. I just don't get into "town" as often as I imagined that I would.

Having visitors is a great motivator to see the sights. Tricia and I saw a lot, and had a great time!


With my sister at the Brazenhead Pub. Thanks for the suggestion Uncle Brian!


The Brazenhead. Ireland's first Public House or "Pub" dating back to 1198. James Joyce is said to have written "Ulysses" here, and Van Morrison wrote "Brown Eyed Girl" here as well.


Windows at Christ Church Cathedral, founded by the Vikings in 1030.


Underground at in a tower at Dublin Castle. It once was above ground, and you can see where the bridge was filled in to prevent people entering the castle and spreading the plague.


St Patrick's Hall at Dublin Castle. The Presidential Inauguration is held here.


Sitting room at Dublin Castle.
The one remaining of the four towers at Dublin Castle.


Tricia at Kilmainham Jail.



In Dublin's fair city,
where the girls are so pretty,
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone,
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

(Lyrics to "Cockles and Mussels" taken from Wikipedia)

One of Tom's Christmas presents was a pair of theater tickets. And the my brother and his girlfriend are coming to visit. I am glad to have more plans to go to town!

No comments:

Post a Comment