Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. " - Erik Erikson


This reminds me that I want to re-focus a little. Yesterday, Danny was laid out on the sidewalk screaming in our way to school, and then Tommy shoved a little girl off the couch at school. OK, I can't say that Danny has never thrown a tantrum (he has, by God, he has) but Tommy shoving anyone besides his brother? I was very surprised to see that rage.

I would write it off to the "terrible two's" if the timing of their behavior changes did not coincide so precisely with all of the external changes. It's got to be the perfect storm of frustration. For the most part, I have been really tuned in to what I think they are experiencing. I try to maintain as much consistency as possible and I am working hard to set up a nice environment for them. Maybe I have been a little too distracted working on the house lately and need to pay extra attention to the boys. It's really about the day to day, right? They are going to melt down from time to time, and I am going to try to be patient.

Thankfully, they had a much better day today and went to bed at 5:30pm. Sleep management has always worked well for us in the past.

Oh, And I got a ticket! Everyone has told me that the meter guys are all over the place, but I guess I had to figure it out for myself. We had a ton of dry cleaning and I pulled up in front of the cleaners to drop it off. When I came out, there was a guy in a uniform taking picture of my car after giving me a ticket. I had flashbacks of our crazy neighbor in NY who took pictures of our garbage.

The good part is, I am really starting to feel like I live here now. Next week, another mom from school and I are going to the big mall. I am really looking forward to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment