Friday, June 17, 2011

“I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day.”- James Joyce



June 16th- Bloomsday!








"Mr. Joyce" was greeting the people on the streets of Dalkey


A Happy face from 1904


The sidewalks of Sandycove/ Glasthule where Leopold Bloom began his day in 1904


So, maybe not completely authentic, but people went to a lot of effort.



The cars really added to the atmosphere.


How can I describe it better than Wikipedia?

"Bloomsday is a commemoration observed annually on 16 June in Dublin and elsewhere to celebrate the life of Irish writerJames Joyce and relive the events in his novel Ulysses, all of which took place on the same day in Dublin in 1904. Joyce chose the date because his first outing with his wife-to-be, Nora Barnacle happened on that day, when they walked to the Dublin urban village of Ringsend. The name derives from Leopold Bloom, the protagonist of Ulysses."

No, I have not read Ulysses. Yet. It is on my list of things that I will probably do, just like Yoga. But I don't think that reading the book is required to appreciate the affection that Dublin has for James Joyce and he literary tradition that he helped to create here.

No comments:

Post a Comment